Friday, March 20, 2009

Let's Read a Book, or Two or Three

I am currently reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, and Kala of Kala Pohl Studio was right...it is a difficult read. I usually read before bed and I find it relaxing, but with this book, I need to really focus. The author sometimes writes using very L-O-N-G sentences....what he writes if very "deep", and then he uses words in contexts I've never seen before. He usually explains HIS use of the word, but by the time I get to the end of the sentence, I have no idea how the sentence started. I also haven't the slightest clue what the point was that the was trying to make in the first place. So, it's back to the beginning of the sentence to read it again and try to decipher his "code". I do like what he has to say, once I figure it out and I am actually enjoying the book.

I am also reading a book that is being shared among the blogging community by Angela of Pickles on Pizza. It's called "Lost & Found" by Jacqueline Sheehan. I just started it, but so far so good. I am the third reader and when I am done, I will post about it. Then anyone that would like to read it next can post a comment and I'll mail it to the winner. So far the book has been in Mississippi, Washington and Illinois. Where will it go to next?????

When I posted yesterday about trying to pay down our debt, the same Angela commented that she was going to send me a book by Dave Ramsey. She and her husband Aubrey used this book to help them get out of debt a few years ago.

Holy crapola....I've gone from reading no books right now to having three to read at the same time. My brain will be fried! Maybe I'll see if Irv will read the Ramsey book first while I finish the other two. Then I will read it and we can plot our strategy!

I forgot how wonderful reading is. I don't really have a favorite author or genre. I just enjoy reading. I usually am attracted to books that will teach me something rather than ones that entertain. Do you have a favorite author or type of book you like to read? I was reading John Grisham for a while and those were actually pretty good....I've also enjoyed a book on Meditation, one by the Dalai Lama, and one on nutrition. Interesting mix!

Well my wonderful blogging friends, time for me to go. I have so much to do this weekend that I want to dig right in. Chat with you soon!

6 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

Eckart is a challenge on his own and best to decipher through a discussion group; there are plenty out there... or here...

LiPeony said...

wow that is a lot of books... the last books I read were the Twilight series but they do count right? =D . My favorite book is still Memoirs of a Geisha. The money book sounds like something everyone should keep in handy. =D

Shelley K. said...

You sound like me--I am usually reading four or five books at a time. Right now one of the books I am SLOWLY and deliciously reading is Breaking Dawn. What am I going to do when I finally finish this series?? Is there a support group for Twilighters?? (LOL!!) Anyway, I would like a chance to read Lost and Found next so please put me in your drawing...

My Inspired Reality said...

These days, I find that if I don't finish a book in one sitting, I don't get back to it. If I do get back, I usually have forgotten the story:):)

Unknown said...

These are very interesting books. I do have to find the time to read more novels. Thank you for leaving a comment at my blog.

Karen said...

I too had a hard time with "The Power of Now." But I loved his next one "The New Earth" or whatever it was called. That deserved to be the fastest-selling bestseller of all time because it really was terrific.

Blog Archive