Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ready, Set......No Go?

Before my trip to the doctor two weeks ago when all of this osteo stuff started my creative juices were flowing. I was having so much fun making clocks and tote bags for my etsy shop, FourDogDay. I got accepted into a juried craft show for March 20th and 21st. I was on a roll.

SCREEEECCCCHHHH!!!!! Man did things come to a halt! I know that my health is more important than anything I can make or any craft show I want to be in, but goodness was I having a difficult time getting back on track. Has that ever happened to you?

I just seemed to have lost my drive and my interest in what I love to do. I took the first week off while I digested what was going on and researched my condition and my treatment options. The next week, when I was ready to get going again....my get up and go had got up and went....and I didn't know where it went. I didn't really care if I was working and creating or not.

I kept looking at the BIG picture and kept telling myself that I really needed to get going. I had a show coming up, my shop FourDogDay was just sitting there. What the heck was wrong with me?

Well, there was nothing wrong with me. I just wasn't emotionally ready to get going. My mind was telling me to take a break....and so I did. Yesterday I had the day off and really felt "ready". So I got my walking and working out done first and then it was etsy time. I finished a darling Itsy Bitsy tote bag......if you look closely, you will see some funky beads hanging below the purple button.....those are from an old earring...I couldn't resist. I also alternated the sun and moon fabric and the lining fabric for the straps. I had so much fun with this one....all out of stuff I already had on hand.

Then I found this fabric to make another tote and drew up a design really cute design! I'll show it to you when it's done!

I also made a decision on what computer I am going to purchase....and I feel good about it. I know I found the right fit for me. I hope to order it today.

So, when you seem to have come to a stand still and you know you have a lot to do....when it seems that you just can't get your engines going....think baby steps. Don't look at the whole big picture....take one little piece at a time....finish one little part...and before you know it, you will be back in the swing and making tremendous progress!

14 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

I used to pressure myself to make things went the creative juices were not flowing. It was frustrating and the product was inferior. Creative people need to go with the flow, and the flow goes, but it always comes back. Love the tote bag and congrats on the computer decision.

Oklahoma Granny said...

Glad to hear those creative juices are flowing again.

Cathryn said...

Love that tote bag! It's absolutely precious!

I know right now, my creative juices are not flowing--in fact they have dried up completely. Part of that is because I'm concentrating on my students' needs and not my creative needs. Those two seem to conflict all the time. My mind is also working on some issues that I have to deal with so there's no room for creativity.

I also know that once I find my balance, I'll be creating again. Good for you in taking the baby steps and working everything slowly so there's balance again!

Unknown said...

G'morn ~ What a gorgeous bag .. you are very creative & the fabric is wonderful.

Have a beautiful day ~
Marydon

Kat said...

Nice bag.

Mary Richmond said...

sometimes our creative juices just have to go somewhere else. all your thinking about your osteo issues was using your creative juices ;-)

seriously, the ebb and flow of creativity is one of the most fun and interesting facets, don't you think? have fun with the new computer, by the way....

The Muse said...

bring that darling little bag and come see me...
www.myladydujour.com
or www.adivashammer.com
when you have time, i'll put the tea kettle on!

and we will look for the best deal on that dream laptop :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you listened to yourself and took a breather--see what resulted? Great work!

Bluebell said...

Well Done Kathy, it's not easy to get going when you are feeling a little down but you are such a positive lady, I love the bag it is very pretty so you are obviously feeling a little better.
Take Care
Love Jillxx

Beth Anderson said...

It happens to me more times than I'd like - too many times recently after being unemployed for 9 months. I've just never gotten that creative energy back in full.
Hopefully it will return in full in time but in the meantime people like you are an inspiration.

Ms Sparrow said...

I keep cussing out my capricious Muse because she skips out on me all the time. I'm glad you got yours back right away!

Sherry said...

Kathy, I just love how you turned it all around after you sat in the moment.
xo

Angela said...

You have to take breaks sometimes- even from the fun stuff. As much as I like to make stuff and blog- lately some days I just want to get into my pajamas and watch tv. When I do get back to being creative, I am even more creative!

gayle said...

I know what you mean. I get the same way from time to time. Love the tote!!

Blog Archive