Monday, April 5, 2010

Beating Osteoporosis.....Day 1

Today is the first day of my new diet and supplement plan. I am so ready. I spent so much time this weekend figuring out things I can eat and what supplements I take when and when I want to drink this shake thing and so on and so on....

I spent a lot of time in the Osteoporosis forums chatting with people that have been doing this for years. I have learned a lot. One of the things I've learned is that just like with every other "hot" topic......you will get lots of different advice from people with lots of differing opinions.

I read many times....no yoga forward bends and no yoga twisting. Then my new doctor said....it's fine. Then some very knowledgeable people in the forums said....don't do it. Then someone else in the forums said.....I've been doing them for nine years. What it boils down to is that I have to do what is right for me. That yoga DVD has made me stronger, more flexible and improved my posture. I think I will keep doing it. The moves in yoga are slow and thought out. I don't think about it when I bend over to pick up something off the floor or twist to back my car out of the drive way. If my back is going to fracture....it's going to fracture.

I am going to see if I can make an appointment with a Physical Therapist that is trained in osteoporosis. I would like some professional help with my exercise program. I really need someone to tell me exactly what I should be doing each day. If I'm going to spend 30-60 minutes every day working out, I want to be sure that what I am doing is going to help. I'm not qualified to do that.

The hardest part of the new diet is the no sugar, no dairy and no gluten. That's a whole lot of no-no's. The no sugar means no Starbucks Chai Lattes. The no dairy means no pizza. The no gluten means no bread. I've done this before, I can do it again.

I just have to think about how awesome I am going to feel when I am not putting things into my body that it doesn't need or want....and when I am putting good things into my body that are going to help it function the way it should. It's all a matter of mind over matter and a good positive attitude.

Make it a great day and be sure to do something really nice for yourself today!

13 comments:

Silke Powers said...

Oh, wow, Kathy, I am so impressed by all the research you do and how you move forward with a good and well thought out plan! The no-no's are hard, but become easier when you have a big goal you are focusing on. And it seems like nowadays there are so many more options for gluten-free, sugar free and non-dairy products. I've just discovered almond milk and just love it! : ) Keep us updated on how things are going!! Love, Silke

Bluebell said...

Gosh Kathy you have a lot to learn about this problem and so many conflicting reports it must be confusing but you are so positive. Thats a good idea to learn about the correct excercise for you, you will be so fit and healthy when you have all this under control. I know it will be difficult to cut out all the nice things but the reward is that you will feel so much better, Go Girl.
Love Jillxx

Lanyardlady said...

Good luck! Thanks for sharing all you learn along the way.

Pat said...

Wishing you success with your new diet and exercise program. With all that you're planning to do, there have to be some positive results.

DUTA said...

You've reached the right conclusion, namely, that you have to do what's right for you.
Listen to your body first, and then go read the forums where everyone brings his own experience which could give you great tips and ideas.
Good Luck and Thanks for sharing!

Oklahoma Granny said...

Every body is different and you just have to do what is right for yours. Good luck!

gayle said...

I so admire you for doing this!! It seems very hard to me!! What will you eat on an average day?

TERI REES WANG said...

What about swimming?...

So, this is my new gig, given from the new and very popular chiropractor, that I have been showing up to lately:

> add extra salt to diet!: only the right salt will do. Pink Himalayan salt, Celtic gray salt, or my favorite, the Redmond Real salt, from the Salt Lake of Utah (which is the same geographic plain as the Dead Sea in Jerusalem)
It has all the minerals we need.

> Chlorella or 'Supper Greens': a.k.a. the super sea weed, which help nourish and detox, both.

> Fish oils x 4: Whatever the bottle you have says is the recommended dosage, quadruple that!
Make sure it is filtered from mercury.

Flax seed chips + hummus = good

Anonymous said...

You're so smart to keep the goal at the front of your mind. I know I'd be whining about what I'm giving up.

Angela said...

Yes!! You CAN do it!! It sounds hard but you sound very determined. I am glad you found a good Doctor and I think I would take his advice over anyone elses.

Ms Sparrow said...

It can really drive you nuts trying to learn what is THE proper way to exercise and eat! There are so many different opinions that all you can do is find a source you can trust and stick with it.
Best of luck!

Sherry said...

Fist, I'm happy to see your beautiful face. You are going to do all the right thing, I know it!

Now, about the pizza, how about soy cheese? I also like brown rice mochi, it melts like cheese and if you use lots of oregano it tastes great!

xoSherry

Matty said...

I wish you the best. The no sugar thing would do me in big time.

Blog Archive