Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I Need A Vacation

Those of you that have been reading my blog for a while know that I LOVE planning our annual vacation. This year we are only going to take a few days because I want to save some of my vacation in case Tresa needs me after our little grandson arrives in the fall. Not only that...Uncle Sam didn't give us much of our money back this year, and that is what we use for our vacation.

Our vacation is usually a trip out to Colorado, so this year's planning was really different for me. I needed to find somewhere that wasn't too far away, yet offered plenty of things to do. I spent a lot of time online over the weekend and we have decided on Traverse City, Michigan. We've never been there. Traverse City is on Lake Michigan and water is a key element for our vacation if I can't have the mountains.

In Traverse City, we will be able to rent kayaks and paddle down the Crystal River for 2-3 hours. (Photo from crystalriveroutfitters.com)

We can hike around the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. (Photo from nps.gov/slbe)

We can even take a 2 hour cruise on a tall ship. (Photo from tallshipsailing.com)

We hope to do all three of those things! I am pretty excited and I think we found the perfect place for a mini vacation. Are you going on vacation this year?

15 comments:

cottonreel said...

It sounds really good and looks fine too . I had a week with my son and daughter .in.law on Lanzarote a volcanic island , It was great .--cottonreel

Pat said...

We seem to sneak in vacations around the shows we participate in. Hoping to get to the beach after a show in 2 weeks as we'll be half way there. Your plans look great. Last year we planned around Holly having Dylan in July so that we would be here when he was born. I bet you just can't wait for that grandbaby.

Sherry said...

Kathy, it simply sounds perfect. We like to be near the water too and will spend the last part of August (about 10 days) in Cape May.

xoSherry

Lanyardlady said...

Lake Michigan is beautiful. All those things look wonderful. I'm so looking forward to our beach trip in the fall.

Oklahoma Granny said...

That water is just so crystal clear. What a wonderful time you'll have. A cruise on a tall ship just sounds divine!

Because of the grandsons and their racing we stay pretty close to home during the weekends. We may get away for a few days during the week this summer.

Matty said...

I've never been to Michigan, but from what I see here, it sounds and looks like fun. I like doing outdoor activities. You did your homework well. When are you going?

We're going to the outer banks in NC around the end of July.

LiPeony said...

wow it does look awesome! Not even sure I'm going on vacation... too much to do =/ but weekend getaways are always good! =D

DUTA said...

If you plan to go to Traverse City , then Don's Drive In(open from 1958) is a must. It has great food.
I know this from a blog named "Hidden Treasures of the Midwest" by Sue(Someone's Mom).

I'm considering going somewhere cool in August.

Kat said...

Sounds like a great vacation.

Mary Richmond said...

that sounds wonderful! and you'll be glad to save the time....i was so happy to have my mom around when i had my babies and my daughter was really glad to have me around, too...there's nothing like a mom to do yucky laundry and prepare a meal when you're exhausted and figuring out the diapers and nursing/bottle things ;-)

Ms Sparrow said...

It sounds like a wonderful vacation. No vacation plans in my future unless I win the lottery!

Teresa said...

sounds like a very fun vacation! love the photos.

Bluebell said...

Hi Kathy,
That looks like a lovely holiday I love the thought of conoeing down that beautiful waterway it looks so peaceful. Tony and I used to take a conoe out on the lakes in Canada and the perfect quiet was beautiful. We are going away in a couple of weeks time in the caravan we don't know where yet but we both fell the need for s break. We are saving a lot of our pennies because of Kate's wedding.Love Jillxx

Cathryn said...

We don't get to get a vacation this year either--not with my teaching schedule and D's finishing up his thesis. I'm so looking forward to your vacation this year!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hi Kathy, That looks like a lovely place to escape and relax and really be on vacation without being so far away you're stressed about the distance :-)

We took a vacation over the Memorial Day holiday-- About 7 miles away! A new swank hotel opened in downtown Los Angeles with amazing low prices so we stayed there for a night and saw all the sights in the downtown area (at least the nice ones) that we rarely ever see. It was a nice getaway.

And in July I'm headed to Ohio to see my new baby niece! Ohhhhh, you have such great things in store for you with your grandson's arrival. Everyone back home is over the moon. I can't wait to get there too!

xoxo jj

Blog Archive