Monday, December 22, 2008

Changing Gears

How good are you at changing gears? No, I don't mean the stick shift in the car...I mean to be going in one direction and all of a sudden you realize you need to go a different way. That's where I am right now. I am changing gears.

I opened FourDogDay on etsy the end of July of this year. I started with photos and cards. Even though it has been fun, I don't want to just make cards and tags and paper things. I want to do other things, and I think I need to do other things to be successful.

My Fun and Fancy Serving Plates have started out nicely, and I think it is time to reopen MyOtherShop and move them over there. I would like that shop to be all home decor....so, today Matt and I went to Hobby Lobby. He needed some frames for the Christmas gifts he made all of us and I wanted to look at unfinished wood things.

Our Hobby Lobby is rearranging their store and I swear that each of the last three times I have been in there they are working on the aisle I need to be in! Today it was the unfinished wood aisle. It was crowded and disorganized, but everything was 30% off and I bought nine pieces. My plan is to paint and decoupage them. Have you ever done decoupage? I did years ago and I really enjoyed it. I like taking something plain and turning it into something kick-butt! I also like "messy" work. I like paint and glue and cutting and pasting.

Oops, I did it again. Change of topic for just a second. Did you see the post in the etsy forums yesterday about the website that ranks the readability of your blog? Hmmmmmm.....mine was rated at a Junior High Level. Click here if you are interested in rating the readability of your blog. I think I need to stop saying things like woo hoo and kick-butt and Mr. Bah Humbug...........not a chance! Anyway it was interesting.

Back to changing gears. I really have no problem with change, in fact, I love it and I look for things to change. I can change gears at the drop of a hat and not grind the gears at all.

My thought is this....a revamped FourDogDay that will be all paper and photos, and then MyOtherShop (which I closed right before the holidays) that will be all home decor, including my Fun and Fancy Plates, and all of my new decoupage items. I might even do some picture frames which would work in both shops. I still have tons of old jewelry that I love to take apart and make into things. Who knows, I might even do some sewing...napkins and placemats anyone?

What do you think? Too much change or do you think two shops is a good idea? I value your opinion. If you have any suggestions on how to make the transition and how to equally promote two shops, I would love to hear from you as well!

6 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

Keep changing gears! It's all part of being a growing, creative person. Plus it makes for great reading! And I am a junior high graduate!

Femin Susan said...

Hello Kathy…….
Your blog looks awesome with photos. It looks breathe taking and too good for words. I like your blog……

Wishing you "A Merry X'Mas and A Happy New Year''.

Angela said...

First of all, it is great that your son goes to HL with you! You know how I love to cut and glue (that is what my whole shop is about) I think if you decoupaged the under side of a glass plate and made one of your fancy serving dishes...it would be very cool!

Angela said...

Oh and my blog is high school level. I think they makes me immature. :)

iPictured This said...

I love to decoupage! It's amazing how it puts a whole new face on something that was once ordinary.

My Inspired Reality said...

Kathy, yes, I am all into changing gears too. But then, I am a true Gemini:) Two shops sounds good. And I am looking forward to all your new creations:):)

Blog Archive