Friday, February 20, 2009

Memories

Tresa had reserved a small block of rooms at a really nice hotel in the city for the wedding in case anyone needed one. As it turned out, none of the out of town guests needed the rooms, so the only people that reserved rooms there was our immediate family.

Since Tresa made the arrangements, the hotel rates have actually come down...including the rates at a really old hotel that Tresa happens to like. Yesterday she e-mailed me and asked if we would mind if she switched our hotel to the Allerton on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. She said it would be cheaper than the original hotel. I said, "Whatever makes you happy. This is your day." It doesn't matter to me where we stay. All that matters is that her wedding is everything she wants it to be.

When she said the Allerton, the name stuck in my head and I immediately knew why. No, I didn't have a wild fling at the Allerton, but Irv and I did attend the Cary-Grove High School Senior Prom there almost 40 years ago in 1969!

The following is taken from the hotel's website:

By the 1940's, when the famous Tip Top Tap sign was first illuminated, the hotel was known around town as one of the most exciting social hot spots. It gained nationwide attention during the 1950's when Don McNeil broadcast a popular radio program from the 23rd floor lounge. Famous Hollywood legends like Bob Hope, Danny Kaye, Ginger Rogers, and James Stewart were featured guests.

In June of 1998 the City of Chicago designated The Allerton as an historic landmark and a $60 million renovation project was launched."

I don't remember a lot about our prom, but Irv and I had been dating for a little over a year by then. I remember shopping for my dress and thinking it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I got my shoes dyed and my hair done...top that off with some lovely white elbow length gloves and all I can say is.....geez where did we get those clothes?

The theme of the prom was "Camelot" and the decorations if I recall were all castle-like. I had my first taste of caviar that night and my last taste of caviar! That's about all I remember....heck, that was an eternity ago...I'm lucky I can remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

Did your school have a prom? Did you go? What was your dress like? Was it as stunning as mine?

7 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

My prom was in the high school gym under a huge Army parachute decorated with sparkling stars. I wore a white lace dress and my sweetheart gave me a red rose corsage. He told me I looked like a beautiful bride. The next year he dumped me for a younger woman! Ahhh, precious memories...

My Inspired Reality said...

Oh, how sweet - you both look so cute:) I went to Catholic boarding school, so no prom for me. The nuns would have frowned at all that exhuberant frolicking:):)

LiPeony said...

My prom was in the Brooklyn Marriott since the Manhattan Marriott was damaged in the 9/11 attacks... I was so petite my prom dress was from a children dress. But I did party it up! =D

Mary Richmond said...

we all look so innocent in those photos from the 60s and 70s, don't we? i was a hippy and was in the group that protested the prom as too suburban and insulting to women or some such thing and so we would die before we would go. we had a big party the same night with all our friends but mostly it was because we didn't have boyfriends or girlfriends ;-)

aliceinparis said...

You two look adorable!!! That dress is really cute. I wore a purple paisley floor length dress.

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

What a lovely posting....thanks for sharing an old memory and new memories in the making. The photo is terrific....you looked lovely and the dress was very demure and pretty!

No prom for me. I was too tall, too socially awkward, and too much an "egghead" to appeal to any of my male peers. Blossomed in college....

Unknown said...

Hi there, thanks for sharing this, I love reading your blog! No high school for me, we don't have that kind of thing in the UK, or we didn't in 1988, but you can imagine the large Miami-vice shoulder-pad shiny suits and slip-ons the boys would have had, and the puff-ball perms, and pink stripey dresses the girls would have had. Nice.

Anyway, I digress, I am leaving this to say I have nominated you for a 'Lemonade Award'! check out my page for more info. Rach x

Blog Archive