Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to a Lot of People This Month!

Do you have a particular month filled with family birthdays? May is ours. My niece, my two boys, two of my sisters and my brother, all have birthdays in May. My boys turned 26 and 29 this year and that just seems so absurd to me. I wrote about Matthew on his birthday, and I will be writing about Michael soon. His story is complex and I need to think it out a bit. Michael was a very sick baby and we came very close to losing him when he was four days old. Writing about it makes me cry when I recall how frightening it was and then I cry because the story is such a happy one. So, one of these days I will share Michael's story with you.

Yesterday was my younger sister's birthday and tomorrow is one of my older sister's birthdays, then on the 26th is my brother's. We don't buy gifts for one another, in fact we are lucky if we get cards out on time...except for my one sister. She has her act so darn together she never misses a birthday. I'm usually late with the one on the 20th, right on time for the 22nd and early for the one on the 26th because once I remember, I send them all at once!

Isn't it funny how you can't wait when you are little for your birthday? You can't wait for the party and the toys and the cake and ice cream and for getting older.....then little by little those birthdays become such a nuisance. In your 20's you start to realize they just aren't so cool anymore. They seem to stay uncool for quite a while and then all of a sudden one day you decide you really don't give a crap. (I had the word poop in there instead of crap and it sounded so dumb. I really wanted to say shit, but decided that crap would do) There isn't anything you can do about them, so why fret? I've been in that stage for quite a while, but then I really don't fret about much. It is what it is.

My birthday is in October...I'm one of those "balanced" Libra people or so the calendar says! HAHA! What month were you born and how do you feel about birthdays?

4 comments:

My Inspired Reality said...

I am a May person too, on the 29th. The years go by and I don't feel any older - until I look in the mirror:):) I don't worry about my age anymore. I feel blessed to have lead a good life - who could ask for more:)

Happy Birthday to all the people in your family.

Angela said...

I am also a balanced Libra!

Mary Richmond said...

i am a leo, born in august...this is not a surprise to those who know me! i still love my birthday--it means i'm still here! woohoo! also, because it falls in the middle of the summer it has always been a great excuse to get the whole family together and have a big bash, complete with lobsters and clams....

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

I am a topsy-turvy Gemini, as is my mother and was my grandmother. Our birthdays are (were) all clustered in June, preceded by one week by my father's in May.

I LOVE my birthday. I was very sick when I was 18 and never thought I'd live to see 21. I'm 52 now and I STILL never take a birthday for granted and I never will....

Blog Archive