Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Man By The Trees

I have a really nice big window next to my desk at work. It looks out past the parking lot to the track and the basketball courts. Past that is a small grassy area, a line of trees and beyond that houses.

My Office Window
Many days when I glance out my window, I will see a man doing Tai Chi. He appears to be "older", he is small in stature and he dresses in the traditional baggy white pants and shirt. He usually starts in the grass by the trees and then he moves over to the basketball courts.

There are days when I almost have to close the blinds, because I am so distracted by this man....but in such an awesome way.

His continuous flow of movement reminds me of the constant motion of the sea. He'll do the same motion 30 or 40 times in repetition first on one side and then on the other. He bends and stretches, but rarely stops moving. The movements are gentle and controlled, and they look so natural as he works his way through his routine. He never seems to be in a hurry to finish.

Wikipedia Photo
I've never actually seen him arrive at the spot, and today was the first time I ever saw him leave. He just walked down the paved path that leads off of the school property.

I could sit and watch his entire "performance" if there weren't other people around. I find it so soothing and relaxing.

I'm guessing that what he does is wonderful for stress relief, balance, flexibility and it probably lowers blood pressure.

It reminds me of the ease of which yoga "guru" Rodney Yi moves so effortlessly through the poses on my yoga DVD.

Do you do yoga or Tai Chi? If not, have you ever really watched someone doing either of them?

Watching him today made me want to learn how to do that. I think I am going to add "Take Tai Chi" to my "Someday I want to..." list right below "Be on a Rowing Team" and "Take Ballet Lessons"!

Maybe some day.....

2 comments:

Joyce said...

How neat to watch this out your window. I would find it very tranquil. I always wanted to try Yoga. I heard there is a good place in CL.
If you like mint you will enjoy a mojitos. xoxo

Joanna Jenkins said...

I agree, it's so relaxing to watch. I used to join my friend at a nursing home to do "wheelchair Tai Chi" which was their exercise class. She loved it!

Blog Archive