Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Osteoporosis....Part Two

I don't even know what to say right now. I am in shock. I am elated. I am sad. I am disheartened. If you didn't read my post on Sunday, please do....otherwise you won't understand any of this. Here is the link.

I called the doctor's office yesterday morning and asked if they could fax me my bone scan results. No problem. I pulled the pages off the fax machine and the words jumped right off the paper at me. O-S-T-E-O-P-E-N-I-A......

Yep, that's right folks. I have OSTEOPENIA.....just like the nurse told me last April. I do NOT have OSTEOPOROSIS....like the doctor told me on Saturday.

When I told the doctor that the nurse in April told me I had Osteopenia....she said, "Some of your numbers are in the Osteopenia range and some of them are in the Osteoporosis range. You have Osteoporosis and you need medication for it."

She was sort of right....I have ONE number out of EIGHT that is in the Osteoporosis range. In fact, it is at the exact divide between Osteopenia and Osteoporosis. It is a -2.5 and if you know anything about spines....it is my L4 vertebra. I have one other low number and that is my L3 vertebra. I have a bad back. I have had a bad back for 30 years, so it makes sense that those two vertebra would be like that. Is it a good thing? Of course not. Those bones are very pourous and weakened. It does say that the risk of fracture is increased because of that...and I get it.

The next lowest number is a -1.7....not even close to being in the Osteoporosis range, but my bones are not as healthy as they should be. Plain and simple. Do I need to do something about it? Yes, I sure do...but I will NOT be taking drugs for it...at least not at this time.

I expect a doctor to give me their opinion, however I expect the facts first.

My diet and my exercise plan is going to be changing. I will be following all of the recommendations for people with Osteopenia to make my bones as strong as I can possibly make them. I ordered a book on it that should be arriving on Thursday and we will take it from there.

I will also be looking for a new doctor.....again.

In case you are wondering.....I won't be calling the doctor to question her. I am already moving forward. It doesn't really matter to me why she did that....maybe she is just passionate about drugs that she feels help. I will leave it at that. I just need to find a doctor that is passionate about people.

Chee Hoo! Make it an awesome day and do something nice for yourself.

19 comments:

Silke Powers said...

Well, I'm glad it isn't as bad as the doctor made it seem. I have to say, I am such a cynical person when it comes to doctors and the influence of big pharmaceutical companies. That said, I love our doctor who is very slow to prescribe anything and allows us to try other ways first. I'm glad you are taking the approach you are taking rather than taking a pill a month for the rest of your life!! Hugs, Silke

Cathryn said...

Well! That's a mixed bag of news. I'm happy you aren't in the throes of osteoporosis but sad that you have the first stages of what can lead to a debilitating disease. I'm happy that you are taking steps NOW rather than rely on a "miracle pill." I'm happy you are doctor-shopping again and I hope you find one that will listen to you and be slow to prescribe medications.

Mary Richmond said...

although i totally get that you don't want to get into a discussion with the doctor i think a well worded, polite note describing your thoughts and reactions would be good. i don't think doctors really have a clue about how their words affect us and our well being....they throw things off the cuff that send us reeling and then act like they never said such a thing. do her a favor--and her future patients a favor--let her know! it doesn't have to be immediate or face to face--in fact, something in writing has to go in their files ;-)

and good luck with your diet, etc.

DUTA said...

Interesting post. And again, I like your approach. I'm very suspicious of doctors and medications, and believe me I've good reason to be like that.

Anyway, after doing your 'homework' thouroughly, you'll take the right decisions.
Good Luck!

Oklahoma Granny said...

I think second and sometimes even third opinions are important when something as important as this is being diagnosed.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Yep, time to find a new doctor and move on to one who will have honest and meaningful conversations with you. Doctors may have the big medical degree but they need to be a team player.

Wishing you good health!
xo

The Muse said...

The Muse invites you to visit her new posts at~
www.adivashammer.com (prose)
www.mysterymeatloaf.blogspot.com (just for fun)
www.myladydujour.com (design)
www.adivashammer.blogspot.com (word games)

I am thrilled, that the news was cleared up to NOT be as catastrophic as that uncaring Physician led you to believe. But I moreover applaud your desire to make changes that positively effect your life...

Go girl!

Anonymous said...

Go lift your weights and find a new doctor! I'm glad you have options, Kathy.

Matty said...

Thank goodness for the internet and you were able to do your own research. I'm glad you finally got the right diagnosis. Sounds like you are on the right track for treating it. I did the same thing with my knee, and moved forward with another doctor. Sometimes that's what ya gotta do. I wish the best to you.

Lanyardlady said...

Thank goodness you are wise enough to do some research and get to the bottom of your own health. It's so easy to lose control when dealing with doctors and medications. I'm going to read up on ostopenia myself.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Important not to let yourself be bullied into taking a drug that you might not need and that can have some unpleasant adverse effects. Good thing you are doing your homework

Ms Sparrow said...

I read recently that ostopenia is a disease "invented" by a pharmaceutical company so they could market a drug for it. Buyer beware!

gayle said...

Yea I am so Happy for you!!! You were very smart to do your research!! You know what you might want to interview your next doctor.That's what some of the young girls are doing around here for the new babys. If I ever change that's what I think I will do.

LDWatkins said...

I think you should hold her accountable. Nuff said.
The healthy approach, diet and exercise will definitely help. Good luck on your search for a new doctor. You have a good attitude. I also have a bad back...surgery a few years ago, but with exercise I'm hanging in there!

Angela said...

I am sorry to hear that....but at least it as not as bad as the doctor made it sound. I hope you find all of the answers you need in the book you ordered.

Kittie Howard said...

Sorry about your test, Kathy. But a few years ago I received almost the exact score (even tho I couldn't understand how). I didn't want to take Fosamax either. But, when the hip starts to hurt and stops after taking that incredible pill, there's a huge sigh of relief. Having said that, each person must do what feels right. Good Luck!

Sherry said...

I am just catching back up with yor blog and your life. I am the same way about doctors, Kathy. And if more of us were, I don't think there would be some many miscommunications.

I mostly see a wonderful nurse practioner in my busy physician's office. If I need the doctor she knows it, but mostly she listens and teaches me.

Bluebell said...

Good for you girl, you find out as much as you can before you get on the drugs conveyor, I really love your positive attitude.
Love Jillxx

Tins and Treasures said...

I am anxious to hear more about your book, and what we can all be doing to slow down this process.

Blog Archive