Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Opportunity Knocked

A couple of weeks ago I received a message through my etsy shop FourDogDay. It was from a couple that are opening a consignment home decor shop in Chicago in May. They said they liked my fabric clocks and asked if I might be interested in selling them in their new store when it opens.

I've received a number of similar requests through my etsy shop, but none of them really interested me...until this one.

We have been conversing back and forth a bit, and I've decided to give it a try. I'm really excited about having another option for selling some of my things. I am going to do the clocks and some cake stands.

I've never sold on consignment before and I know there are some crafters that won't do it. I think if I can price my items right, it could work out well. Their store is in the Andersonville Neighborhood. It's a wonderful area with a ton of foot traffic. The people that live in a lot of the neighborhoods in Chicago also shop in those neighborhoods.

The owners sound very laid back, but very organized. They have some wonderful merchandising consultants that will be helping them along the way. This isn't a shop where you rent a space and have to maintain it. They take care of everything. I received their contract yesterday and it was pretty straight forward and easy to understand.

If you are an artist or a crafts person, have you ever sold on consignment? What kind of experience did you have?

13 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

This sounds like a fun opportunity. I've been asked to sell through other shops but my answer is always no because I can't commit to a steady inventory. I have so little time to bead and I won't put more pressure on myself to produce. Then it becomes work and not fun. I wish you luck and can't wait to hear how things go.

Silke Powers said...

That is just wonderful! I am happy that you have this opportunity. I love when things like that come sort of out of the blue. Gook luck!! Hugs, Silke

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

I think if you find the right situation for you, it can work out great. Good luck!

Sherry said...

It sounds like it may be a wonderful opportunity, Kathy. I don't do consignment, but I will wholesale from time to time.

I hoe it works well for you.

xoSherry

Lori P said...

Wow! Congrats, Kathy. First, trust your gut - bottom line. Second, I think it's a great thing to try out. Hey, if it doesn't work for you, you can always just get out.

I sold wholesale for awhile and it was lucrative. But I don't think I want to do it again anytime soon. I had a good experience, but had issues with pricing. She marked up AT LEAST 2.5x from my wholesale price.

Anyway, great job and keep us posted.

Oklahoma Granny said...

Congratulations on this new opportunity. Best wishes in growing your business.

jdavissquared said...

that's awesome kathy! i've never done consignment, but i say give it a shot! you obviously have a good feeling about it, so why not? I hope it works out well for you!

Cathryn said...

I hope this works out for you! I'd like to know your experiences with this idea!

Anonymous said...

I've no experience to share--just my congratulations on the opportunity!

Beth Anderson said...

Awesome - I think this is great.
I have done this at 2 different stores over the years and have been very happy with the arrangement. If you feel good about them, and the shop, I'd do it!

Angela said...

Way to go!! I can't wait to hear more about it when you get all set up!

Matty said...

This could be very lucrative for both of you if it works out.

gayle said...

This sounds like an exciting opportunity!!!! I say go for it!!

Blog Archive