Wednesday, July 14, 2010

! ! ! ! !

Do you like !!!!!? I happen to love !!!!! If you have been reading my blog for a while, you probably already knew that, didn't you?

For a very long time I didn't realize that I used a lot of !!!!! Then one day I reread one of my blog posts and I saw all of the !!!!! I had used. I started to pay more attention to how often I used !!!!! I found that I used !!!!! in my blogging. I used !!!!! in my e-mails. I used !!!!! in my texts. Holy crap I used a ton of !!!!!.

I started to cut back on my use of !!!!!. It was painful at first. I would be writing and I would catch myself hitting the !, so I would backspace and hit the . instead.

I really am pretty cool and calm, buy when I write something, I want to be sure that people hear me....therefore I use !!!!! because they are louder than .....

I listen to The Mix radio station most of the time now. There is Eric the DJ, his sidekick, Kathy, their traffic girl, Melissa and their news guy, Mark. Not a morning goes by that the four of them don't have me laughing out loud over something they said.

Melissa is pregnant and she just started a baby blog. The other day they were talking about her first blog post when it was revealed that there was a slight problem with her writing. They tried to be really nice, as they told her with a great deal of drama and humor that every sentence in her two paragraph post, except ONE, ended in a ! Then they sat there and explained what her blog would sound like if you read it out loud. You can only imagine how funny it was with them shouting and being overly exuberant in their reading. I almost wet my pants.

Then I realized that's what the people that read my blog, my e-mails and my texts must be thinking, and I started laughing again.

So, I ask that you bear with me as I attempt to return to my pre-!!!!! days. There will be times when I will use !!!!!, but I will try to be sure that it is truly the proper place for a !!!!!. Man this is going to be tough!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

it's a serious condition, and one from which I suffer. I often have to police my posts for multiple superfluous !!!!!

Twitter doesn't help, but I think it stems (for me) from having a pretty dry sense of humour but worrying that it will be missed in writing, hence the !!!!! so you know I don't mean it . Good for you, to know your problem is to start dealing with it.

(I SO want to end that with !)

Lanyardlady said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ntervention!

Unknown said...

Oh, gosh. Are we two peas in a pod. (!). I use !'s a lot. Mostly, when I am commenting on someone's blog. And I figure I come across as some wired old woman, but I'm basically a happy person and it shows in my !'s. I need to tone it down a bit. Ok. That wasn't so hard. I think I'm going to be just fine.

Nancy

Ms Sparrow said...

I just love the variety in your blog! I never know what you're up to and it's fun to catch up. Best of luck in weaning yourself off the !!!!'s.

Matty said...

Well, it's better than YELLING IN ALL CAPS to get your point across.

Mary Richmond said...

Hahaha!!!!! OMG!!!!! I think a lot of us blogging type folks do the same thing...we're sort of a boisterous and excitable group, after all!!!!

gayle said...

As I am reading this I am smiling b/c I too use !!!! and a few 1's now and then!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I'm big with the !!!!!!!!! too!

I totally understand.

Just wanted to let you know I'm featuring your blog tomorrow on Featured Followers Friday.
gail
thanks for being a follower!

#1Nana said...

The first step is recognizing you have a problem...oh wait, that's another problem.

I like ! too, but I like ..... even more. It's not a run on sentence if you use....you can just keep writing.

I'm not in school anymore. I don't have to follow the rules. What's the point of getting older if I can't make my own rules. I will !!!!! and .... with abandon!!!

jdavissquared said...

oh kathy, I am so guilty of this too. {it took extreme concentration not to use a ! there. and there.}
I know I use way too many as well. now i'm going to be extra aware.

Blog Archive