Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Jogger

On my drive home from work the other day, I saw a female jogger on the sidewalk. She had on some running shorts and a t-shirt...she was listening to her ipod as she ran. I have tremendous respect for anyone that can get out there and jog. I am not much of a runner. I can walk fast on my treadmill, but running....not so good.

As I came up behind her, and then went past her, I couldn't help but notice more about her. She looked to be in her mid-sixties. Her hair was salt and pepper. There was more. The woman was leaning way to the left. Her head was hanging down as though she were looking at the sidewalk...only not by choice. Her misshapen body made running difficult, but that didn't seem to matter. She ran. She ran and my heart went out to her. What an inspiration.

Each day when it's time for me to head downstairs to walk on the treadmill, I always pout a bit, complain a little bit and drag myself down the stairs. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore.

11 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

People are capable of amazing things. It's often those who are not in perfect shape that are the most inspiring.

Unknown said...

People like her are truly amazing and an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing that. I'll think of her the next time I think "ugh" when I'm going out for a walk or going to the gym.

Nancy

gayle said...

That is amazing!! Wish I could be more like her!!

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning,
I hear you...what an inspiration. The first time we went to watch Emily in the Fargo Marathon, we saw several participants that were elderly or physically handicapped...and running a Marathon. It puts me to shame!!

Have a relaxing Sunday. Take care ~Natalie

Bluebell said...

Now I feel ashamed because I always moan when I have to exercise, this lady is a real inspiration.
Love Jillx

T.Allen said...

Amazing, isn't it? Willpower and will to power, I need more of that. Thanks for giving me pause for contemplation. Have a greet upcoming week, smile often and walk briskly! :)

PussDaddy said...

What a nice story. It makes me wonder why I don't do more myself.

PussDaddy

Oklahoma Granny said...

This type of story is always an inspiration. Thanks for sharing it.

Teresa said...

that is very inspirational! makes me want to suck it up just a bit more.

Sherry said...

I'm so happy to read that post, Kathy. I didn't feel like a bat hat walk tonight, but we went anyway. Now I'm really glad I did.

xoSherry

Vicki Boster said...

Hi Kathy - You are the winner of my birthday give away - bird totebag. I have sent you a couple of emails without any response - hope you read your comments! Please send me your address girlfriend!

Vicki

Blog Archive