Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Craft Show Question

Well, we are getting down to the nitty gritty for my first craft show. I told you before I don't waste a minute of time right now as I work my tail off to increase my inventory, tag and price items and package them up. This morning at 6:15 before I left for work I was pricing the 33 awesome cake stands I have done for the show! I have coasters and switchplates and pin cushions and home decor and photos and cards and bookmarks. I will finish the pillows as soon as my sewing machine gets back from the repair shop. It decided to not function properly this past weekend....great timing! Am I upset....nope! I have plenty of other things to do until it gets back this weekend. Then it will be the mad dash to get all of the pillows done for the show!

I've been reading everything I can about what payment methods people use at shows. I think we talked about this before. I will not be offering credit cards, but I am undecided what to do about checks. People say that not a lot of people ask, but what if they do? Do I want to take checks? It makes me a bit nervous.

It also said to scope out the nearest ATM so you can suggest that to people as well. That sounds like a good idea. If you do shows, do you take checks?

We are going to set up the canopy again this weekend and put the two five foot tables in there and the shelf and the little table and the check out desk and the pillow display and see if it's all going to fit! It fits really nice on my scale drawing, but we will see when it's the real thing.

My son Matt sent me an awesome power point today that I want to share with you, but I have no idea how to get it on here. It's about plastic water bottles and it is a real eye opener. It was sent as an e-mail attachment. I saved it to my desktop, but when you click on it, it just opens it up and there is no link or anything. If anyone knows anything about that stuff, let me know so I can share it with you.

Well, Irv has dinner ready....what a sweetie he is....so I have to go. Idol is on in an hour and this is the first week where I am going to be a bit sad no matter who gets sent home. :(

Have an awesome evening!

4 comments:

Angela said...

About Idol...I hope Kris stays.

I was on the Etsy forum a couple of weeks ago (when I thought I was doing the craft show) and someone told me that sales increase by 50% when you offer credit cards. I have never taken credit cards...but she said it is super easy to take them if you already have a paypal account set up. All you need is one of those old fashioned things to imprint them. I am about to apply for another show and I am really thinking of getting set up for credit cards.

Lanyardlady said...

I'm with Angela. Accepting credit cards or debit cards attracts buyers. I would not accept a check unless it was from someone I knew. Beautiful cake stand pictured in your post.

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Good luck on your Craft Show..sounds like you have everything well in hand. I have done several shows over the years and have not had a problem with check..especially local ones.

aliceinparis said...

I would try to figure out the credit card situation. I do think you would get a lot more sales. I have taken checks from people. Maybe you might get stiffed by one person...maybe. Most people are honest! You can go by your feelings too. Don't take any checks over $30?
I have not been watching Idol this season. I've heard the final contenders are great!

Blog Archive