Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Fear Factor

I listen to people talking, and I can't believe how many people are living in a state of constant fear. Some of them are fearful about economic and job losses. I can understand that, but some people are so fearful, that they have lost site of the fact that they have a job and they have their health and they have their family. They are fearing things that may or may not happen, that they have little control over...and life is passing them by.

Do you live in fear? Do you worry about things you have no control over? Do you avoid trying new things for fear you might fail?

I don't any more. I'm not sure why that is, but I really don't worry too much about anything. I have concern for certain things...like health and my family, but I don't stop living because I fear something bad is going to happen.

Fear can stop you dead in your tracks. It doesn't even have to be something big that you are fearing...it can be something small. I'm not saying we should just run all over the place never thinking things through. We should always think things through before making decisions...I'm talking about thinking things through and always coming up with the same conclusion....no, I can't do that because it will never work...I tried something like that before and failed so I better not try it again...my friend told me I shouldn't do that...the economy is going to get worse...what if I lose my job....I'll never be able to do that...my mom told me no way so I won't do it....I'm sure I'll fail.......and on and on and on.

You know what...if you think you will fail...by golly...you will! If you never try, how will you know?

I'm not afraid to try things and I do not fear failure. Failure only means that I didn't do it right or it truly was not the right thing for me and in my heart I knew that...therefore I didn't put forth the effort required to be a success.

How about you? Do you try a lot of different things? Do you take chances? Do you fear things you can't control?

Are some people just natural worriers? Is that even possible? Can those people that worry their lives away change?

I would love a discussion on this topic. What do you think?

7 comments:

Lori P said...

LOL, you read my blog and already know my answer! I was never a worrier until I had kids. Now I am in a constant state of worry. I had a dental appointment this morning and I worried all night about the darned thing. What you say is SO TRUE! I am in the process of attempting to learn meditation through yoga to take some of the stress away. I don't know about my worries, but it HAS helped my posture! ;-)

Lanyardlady said...

I'm really good at telling others not to worry about the things they can't control, but not as good about following my own advice! I'm doing better though because worrying never changes anything. All we can control is how we live our lives every day, and I admire your attitude!

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

I think worrying (fear) can be a learned behavior. If it can be learned, it can be unlearned! Sometimes, however, it is hard to distinguish between worrying, planning and risk avoidance.

As a former president once said, and the current one often rephrases, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

LiPeony said...

I'm guilty of succumbing to the fear not really fear just lack of encouragement. I'm not afraid to fail but having people tell you that you won't succeed is definitely a downer. You know the cliche "nothing to fear but fear itself"

Angela said...

Great post, Kathy. I let fear take over my life when my mom was sick. I think my depression ruined a lot of our last days together. Then one day I just got tired of being depressed. I had to literally talk myself out of being fearful every day. Every day got a little easier. But, I let depression and fear take about three years of my life. Never again! It was hard and it took a long time, but I fought my way back.

Mary Richmond said...

i am not a big believer in letting fear stop me. i have moments of fear--i'm a cancer survivor and have lived through some hairy times with other parts of my life--but i'm a great believer in moving forward and letting that motion keep me buoyed up! fear is a great energy and spirit stealer and i think it has stopped many, many people from reaching their potential. fear of failure keeps many people tethered to situations they hate--and yet, failure is as temporary and relative as success! it is not who or what we are but part of our experience. nothing to be afraid of, really. those who succeed have also failed--many times!

of course there are times when fear is a good thing--like when it keeps you from walking down the white line of a busy highway or keeps you from sticking your hand in the fire ;-)

Mary Richmond said...

because i seem to have more to say ;-)

a friend of mine had a great exercise to use when feeling fearful....imagine the worst that can happen....go all the way there...most people realize about half way through their description that their fears are unfounded....that they have way more resources and support than they tend to remember.

Blog Archive