Tuesday, April 21, 2009

To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question

Our 40th high school reunion is this summer. Irv already said he has no interest in going....I'm still holding out until I see who else plans to be there. Irv and I graduated from Cary-Grove High School in 1969. Our graduating class was a whopping 180 kids.

I wasn't a great student. It wasn't because I didn't have the ability, I just really didn't care. I just couldn't figure out what algebra or knowing the dates of every war ever fought by man would do to help me in my life...oh, funny thing....they don't! I got average grades until my senior year when I decided that I wanted to make the honor roll before I left high school, and I did....twice.

My sister Karen was a senior when I was a freshman. She was pretty popular and teachers loved her. I was a chatty, lazy little smart ass. Teachers couldn't believe we were related!

I wasn't very outgoing, and most of the time stayed within my own little group of friends. I met Irv at the end of my junior year and he became my best friend.

I enjoyed chorus and all of the musical programs and had the part of a dance hall girl in the musical Oklahoma. One of my friends taught me how to twirl a baton over the summer so I could try out with her in the fall. I tried out and made the squad and got kicked off within a month. I asked if I could miss a football game performance so I could go visit my sister in Michigan. She had gotten married and moved away and I missed her terribly. The director told me if I went I was off the squad....I went.

I wasn't part of any of the clubs or groups...I wasn't a groupie kind of person then and that hasn't changed.

They started a reunion website where we can enter a profile and photos. I did that and have actually been in touch with a number of people from our class. It's really fun reading what people are up to. One of the girls suggested some us get together before the reunion.
Not sure if I'm ready for that. I am so unsociable!

Have you gone to any of your high school or college reunions? Was it fun? Did you renew any old friendships after the reunion?

I'll let you know what we decide.....

In case you are wondering, I'm in the third row from the top, second one from the right....what a serious look! :)

10 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

I think you should throw caution to the wind and GO! Reunions are not my thing, but now that you're reconnecting with people it might be fun to see them again!

whyte said...

I've had such a great time going back to hs reunions. I grew up in a small midwest town I couldn't wait to leave, now would love to move back to. Small class here too (197) and many of us have always stayed in touch. Several old hs teachers said class of '66 was the tightest group they'd had through the years. The older we get the more we love getting together again. Pretensions gone, respect flowing!

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Went to my 25th High School one years ago, my class was big. We were the last of the "War Babies", there were 600 of us in my class. I'm still in contact with my two best friends from school, the reunion wasn't all that great. It was fun seeing how everyone had changed
Unfortunately we lost alot of the boys from our class to the War in Vietnam..but all their pictures were there. We got to remember them as they were in HS..
I think you should go...

matt said...

That's funny! Now I know where I get some of my undesired characteristics. I never knew you as a rebel. I think you should go. Worst case scenario: you end up being even more thankful for how you turned out. At least that is what I imagine when I go to my reunion down the road. Love you!

matt said...

Oh yeah, in Telluride the graduating class last year was 56!

My Inspired Reality said...

Yes, go Kathy:) I went to boarding school and after 20 years met some old friends from school. What a blast it was - a wonderful evening down memory lane. I also made some great connections, which I keep till today. Nice to hear stories of what paths people chose in life. So, definitely go:):)

LiPeony said...

I went to my elementary school reunion and it was a blast seeing everyone from way back when. I keep in touch with my graduating classes via facebook group. I'd say why not? =D

aliceinparis said...

I think most people who go to runions have a blast. Lovely to remember the "good" old days with folk who have a common point of reference.
You were a real cutie back then:)

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

Your class was bigger than mine...I went to such a tiny school. If high school doesn't bring back painful memories (I was the nerd-girl that everyone teased horriby) then I say, "go." It's good to break out of established patterns and it sounds like this would serve that purpose for you!

Angela said...

I have only had one and I didn't go. I was the quiet girl and I am not even sure anyone noticed that I wasn't there!

Blog Archive