Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Being In Control

I am a person that likes to be in control. I like to do things myself. I like doing things my way. It isn't that I'm not cooperative when dealing with joint ventures....I am. I am also a team player when I need to be. I just prefer things that are mine....my project, my crafts, my room, my office....well I like to control those things.

That is why I wasn't sure if selling my crafts in a consignment store was going to be for me. I am use to my etsy shop FourDogDay...where I make, price, display and sell everything myself. With the consignment shop, I make and price but that's where it ends. Someone else will display my things, talk to customers about my things and hopefully sell my things. I thought I might have a problem with that.

Guess what? I'm not having a problem with it at all. In fact, I'm pretty darn excited. The consignment shop is giving me an opportunity to make things that I would not have made for etsy. The clocks were big to ship, cakestands were a nightmare and I would never even attempt to ship one of the lamps.

Now I feel as though I have the best of both worlds. I can make and sell my fabric things on etsy and I can make and sell big and fragile things at necessary exTRAVagance. How lucky can one person be?

Do you like to be in control or are you comfortable letting someone else run the show? Do you find it easier to turn certain things over to someone else than it is some other things? Please share....

14 comments:

Pat said...

Oh...I always want to be in control too. I am so glad you found a middle ground with your work in the consignment store. In the shops where I have my work, I am able to set up my own display. Hope you find much success.

Lanyardlady said...

I like to be in control but work hard to accept that I cannot worry about the things I can't control. I would be happy to have someone sell my things for me if I trusted them.

Silke Powers said...

I like to be in control, because then I know that things are done "right." On the other hand, I like to have a life and be able to enjoy it, too, so I've learned to happily give up control in some areas. It makes for a more "relaxed" me. I think it's great that you are having such fun with making the pieces for the consignment shop! Hugs, Silke

Sherry said...

Control is something I struggle with a lot. My husband says that sometimes it causes disapointment for me because people don't live up to the standards I require of myself.

Always a work in progress....

xo

Mary Richmond said...

control? me? it is why i am self employed and have been most of my life. i am happy to give up control to people i trust and over the years have had many wonderful working relationships with people who sell my work. giving up a bit of control is actually good for me. i don't tend to be a micro manager but i do tend to look at the big picture and try to control the outcome--or outgo!

i'm glad the consignment shop is working well for you!

Anonymous said...

How fantastic that you've got the control you want without a lot of stress over details you DON'T want to deal with! What a perfect set up! I'm a control girl, but I'm always trying to let go...I think I'm finding better balance every day.

DUTA said...

I'm very much like you as regards control. I am, however, aware of the fact that you can't go very far if you don't trust others and turn certain things over to someone else.
I'm glad you found out you can do this - giving up some control.

Ms Sparrow said...

Good for you! Micro-managing can be a fatal flaw. Letting go can be a really good thing.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I like to be in control - just ask my husband. I can be a team player when the situation calls for it though.

Bluebell said...

I find it quite difficult if I am not in control and think that no one else can do it as well as me, it is a silly way to be because then you end up doing everything and thinking you are the only one doing anything. I think it's the Mum in us, we are in control for so long with the kids it's hard not to be. I hope this makes sense.
Love Jillxx

Kittie Howard said...

I also like being in control but to the point where I gain trust. I think this consignment shop relationship will work out just great for there's trust on both sides.

Joyce said...

Kathy this is funny that you brought up the topic of "control" I use to think of myself not a controlling person until one surgery the doc had a dickens of a time putting me to sleep- he mentioned about me having to be in control. From that point on I realized there are different levels and types of controlling. SO in a nutshell I am controlling when it comes to me and the things I do. xo

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I like to control my own projects. On a bigger scale, hubby and I had to work out who was in charge of what when we married, because we are both high-control people. Our division of labor was almost the reverse of traditional gender roles. Since then we've learned to do lots of things together, and sometimes I am aware that I'm choosing to give up control, or to assert more of it.

Malissa said...

I am the person that goes to someone else's house and takes over, not in a pushy way, it just happens...really! I am a good team player, as long as I am in charge of the team -LOL- just kidding!
So glad your new venture is working out for you, I wish you the best of luck!! I think finding the right partnership in consignment is the key, you have to feel comfortable with them making decisions, and it looks like you found it.

Blog Archive