Monday, February 23, 2009

Old Photographs

I have some of my photos in albums, but many of them are in plastic bins..you know the shoebox sized ones. I started organizing them many years ago and had most of them in order from oldest to newest, but never finished. Now years later after going through them so many times, they are a mess again. I'll need to start over....one of these days when I have nothing else to do! HAHA!

I was looking through them the other day for my old prom pictures and came across some really, really old ones that I thought I would share with you. I love old pictures. They fascinate me to no end. I can just stare at them and try to imagine what the people were thinking or what might have been going on in their lives at that particular time.

My mom let us all go through her photo albums one time many years ago and take photos that we would like to have. I took a good number of the old pictures....but I was nice enough to save some for my siblings. :)

I love these three. The first one is of my dad's parents. They came here from Norway. I am guessing that they were living in Chicago in this photo. I don't remember them very well, they both died in the 50's when I was young. What I do recall is that they were pretty serious folks. That bench is awesome, isn't it? I love her housedress too. My grandfather looks very proud.

The next one is my dad and his sister. My dad was born in 1918 and I would guess that he was about 2 in this photo. I love their clothes. Not sure what my dad is wearing, but it looks like a little jumper of some kind. Don't you love the bows in his sister's hair? My dad looks like he's rubbing his neck or maybe something was biting his little neck.

The last picture is my dad on the left and my mom's brother on the right. They both served in the Army during WWII. I'm not sure where Joe served, but I do know my dad fought in Africa. This photo was taken in 1944...seven years before I was born. My uncle was quite the rebel as I recall. I think he did some womanizing in his day. I remember he always let me sit on his lap...when he was driving in our neighborhood... and steer the car! Could you imagine doing that today? Yikes! Actually, we did a lot of things back then that probably wouldn't be looked on kindly today, but we'll talk about that another day.

Just thought I would share some beautiful old photos with you today.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome photos and great blogging! I loved reading your post! Can you imagine that our children and grandchildren will look back someday on our photos and think the same sorts of things?

My Inspired Reality said...

Thanks for sharing Kathy. I love old photos - such stories in them:) I recently found some old ones to share with my cousin in Malaysia. They were of our parents when they were young. His parents are both gone now, so he really appreciated getting them:):)

LiPeony said...

wow awesome glimpse into your family tree. I also love thumbing though old photos. I especially love the vintage ones before color cameras were used.

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

Lovely photos. Family heritage is a great gift to pass along!

KayzKreationz said...

Those are some great old photos. I have some of family, that I've been looking for a vintage photo frame to put them in. Haven't found one yet that seems to fit. Thanks for the photos and the stories they tell.
http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com
http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com

LeelaBijou said...

Great post and awesome photos! :)

Blog Archive